February 5th, 2016 – Week Four
Homework, projects, tests, and finals. January went by in a flash, and yet Winter Break feels like ages ago! Fortunately, through all the January ruckus, I was able to check off some early work I wanted to complete for my in-depth project.
One of my early goals was to lay out a rough schedule to follow for the next few months. I began by deciding which day I want to post each week (I chose Friday). I then worked backwards planning each step I will need to complete before the post goes up. Because I have not yet started posting, I cannot know how well my schedule will work; therefore, I may need to make some changes in the months to come.
Along with a weekly schedule, I also began a tutorial/ posting schedule. Over the month of January, I was constantly thinking of which of my favourite styles I want to teach. So far, I have picked eight out of the ten tutorials that will be on my site. I also left room in my schedule for the Gleneagle student features at the end of each month.
Something else I wanted to do was to take a look at existing hair tutorial sites for reference. I came across an active tutorial site called Hair Romance. I really like the formatting on the site as it is very clean and straightforward–nothing too busy. I didn’t go through too many tutorials because I don’t want to subconsciously “copy” the style in future, but I did take a look at a few for reference. The tutorial pictures are very clear and taken from an angle looking straight at the subject. There are no distractions in the background of the photo making it easy to look at. The instructions are neat and tidy with each step numbered and in bold. To make things more clear, every step also has extra supporting details. One thing I am not a huge fan of is how the site has a collage of step-by-step photos at the top of the page but the instructions are placed further down. As the reader, it was frustrating for me to read the step and then have to scroll back up for photo clarification. On my site, I hope to put each photo and step beside each other.
A goal of mine that I was unfortunately unable to complete was beginning to work with my mentor and learn about the program. Because Mrs. McCullough is not yet a teacher in the district, Ms. Kim and I were having difficulties getting in contact with her. (Although, I did accidentally get in contact with Mr. McCullough, the principal from Pinetree, but he was unfortunately not an expert in the hairdressing field.) I will need to catch up on this part of my project within the next few weeks when Mrs. McCullough arrives.
Even though one of my goals was not accomplished in January, I was able to get a head start in one of my February goals — I created my website! There are no posts or pages on the site yet, but I am happy with the look I have given it so far. To me, it looks very clean and straightforward. I wanted to stay away from busy patterns and colours, just like I saw on Hair Romance. Click to visit my site, I’m Hair For You.
Another thing I accomplished was starting an In-Depth specific notebook. I had no intentions of doing this beforehand, but I felt it would be a good way to sort and separate my thoughts. Though this is something quite minor, I thought it would be very beneficial and keep me on track.
So far, my in-depth progress is going quite well and I am excited to continue on this journey!
Note: As I have been unable to meet with my mentor, the post #2 questions will be included in my post #3. This post was only an extra update on my process.